Monday, December 12, 2005

Doing What I Can't.

I get a weekly news feed about the Internet and Windows XP. Okay, I get about 5 or 10 feeds like this a week. WXPNews happens to be one of my favorites (I also like the New York Times Circuits e-mail). The article had this quote in it.
I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)
I've really just read the quote and got to thinking about how I've been living my life.

Growing up I was convinced any one could do anything. If we start early enough or put enough time into it, we could be whatever we wanted. If I wanted to be a concert pianist I could do it. It may be easier for some people to do, it'd probably take me decades, others are born with it. But I do believe that given the energy and time I could do it if I set my mind to it.

Lately I've been coasting. There's no other way to describe it. I've been working at a job which fluctuates between being ok and being awful, mainly feeling like I'm not really impacting individual lives. I've been volunteering as a youth minister doing an ok job, but not putting forth the effort I could to make it a success. Even with my family life, I definitely don't put forth the time and energy I should (though that has been changing a bit lately).

In short, I haven't been putting my mind into anything. Instead of doing what I can't do, I find it easy to find reasons why I can't do something, and just shouldn't try.

So, right now, this is another wake up call. It's time for me to go back to school and learn about all the things I can't do. It's also time for me to be a great husband instead of a good one. It's time for me to keep up the friendships I'm making, and keep them strong.

What is it that you're not doing because you "can't"?

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page