Monday, December 05, 2005

Mississippi Trip - Tuesday Cont’d.

I awoke last in the middle of the night in a cold sweat (ok, no so much sweating as jst warm and not so much awoke as turned over). I realized that I missed one very, very important moment from the drive down to Mississippi. Trust me, you’ll understand the adult person I am after this story.

We stopped at Arby’s for dinner. Both Michael and I had been talking about going to Arby’s and getting a Big Montana. I love Arby’s, but there just isn’t one nearby enough for me to go more than every few months.

So anyway, Michael and I sit down together to enjoy the great gift of food that only a half pound of roast beef can bring. We’d both taken two bites when Michael says
"I bet I can eat my Big Montana faster than you."
Now, I was shocked! Being the responsible adult that I am needed to put an end to this immediately. So I swung into action to put an end to this nonsense by saying:
"You SO can't! You don’t have a chance, I can eat you under the table!"
Now, you must admit, this was the fastest way to put an end to it. If I’d balked at the challenge I’d only have heard complaints the rest of the week.

So, the challenge was down. One of the adults (the real, mature ones) gave us the 1... 2... 3... count and we were off. Now, I’d never raced anyone at eating that I can recall, and from the beginning I worked from the idea that if I get enough in my mouth at once I could chew it quickly and swallow. Michael took a different tack and took many smaller bites with very little chewing.

It my become obvious here that my method was flawed. While I had a big mouth and had my sandwich in my mouth before Michael did, he was able to swallow faster. At the end of it all I got to walk away with some massive heartburn, weird complaints from my stomach and my head hung low.

Having realized the folly in my plan I did plan to challenge Michael again on the way back home. Unfortunately (or maybe not) we never stopped at Arby’s. So I’ll have to save up the challenge for later.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page