Tuesday, July 26, 2005

lol

If the most common letter in the English language is e then the most common phase in the IM language (bear with me, it's kind of a language) is lol. More and more people use lol and I'm convinced they use it incorrectly (or I'm to stubborn change it's meaning).

Now, I'd hope we all know what lol stands for... Anybody??? Bueler, Bueler??? Laugh out loud (or Laughing out loud). Now, here's my question. When people really say lol are they really laughing out loud? Is whatever was said so fully they actually opened their mouths and laughed?

I had an IM conversation today with one of the youth in our youth group, and I think every third sentence she put lol. Something may have been very slightly funny, and it got a lol. I see the same thing from other youth I IM with regularly (and even some adults).

So, my question is really this. Does lol just mean that you think what was said was funny, or did you actually laugh out loud?

I get grief from people because I say Hehehe when something's and Hahaha when I chuckle out loud. But I rarely actually open out and bust out with laughter (but then I have a very loud annoying laugh, so I save it for conversations with actual people... Hehe).

Ok, that was just my question and thought for the day. What do you think lol really means?

Peace,
+Tom

9 comment(s):

Yeah, Tom, you are just scratching the surface of the language...going for surface value doesn't cut it anymore. The terms are not becoming more about degrees than actually what they say. For example:
lol- that was funny
LOL- one laugh/chuckle
lmao- actually laughs
rotfl- laughing really hard
Those this is not concrete (which is my point) it gives you a better understanding of what the phrases mean. It is a degree thing....if you catch my drift.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/27/2005 12:20 PM  

Good question...I get lol alot too...never realized that I was quite so funny. Maybe it really does mean something else...hmmmm...I wonder.

By Blogger Melody, at 7/27/2005 3:02 PM  

I just figured it out...In my case anyway....it must mean "lame old lady"...yup those little brats...now they are in trouble.

By Blogger Melody, at 7/27/2005 3:11 PM  

tom i think ur totally true its so overused these days but when i say it(thought rarley) i actulay do laugh so even though its overused dont knock it cus its just becoming and addict word that people use to frequently online and saddly off line ni real conversations showing just how much technology has intertwined in our lives
love u all
~stephen~

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/27/2005 5:02 PM  

I use Hehehehe or Heh or Hah Hah a lot. I hardly ever use "lol" because I hate acronyms. See, I probably even spelled it wrong.

I'm kind of goofy, so I usually do laugh out loud at stuff. But I just never type it. :)

By Blogger Cindy, at 7/27/2005 9:57 PM  

I only use it when I actually chuckle at something. I guess I really don't 'laugh out loud' but 'chuckle a little'. I'll start using CAL instead of LOL. how's that?

By Blogger Sheri, at 7/28/2005 9:20 AM  

I use it whenever something is funny, although I do use it just because it is easier for me than typing "that was funny". Yah, I'm lazy like that.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/29/2005 4:34 PM  

ok you're right people (like me) use lol way too much! hehe so now i am like ok i have to change the "lol" thing i do b/c i use it too much. i guess i just don't want to type "funny" or stuff like that.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/30/2005 2:17 PM  

lol <- jk about that one ur right though i don't know how i got to ur page but when i came on my cuzs copmuter it was there so i decided to leave a comment, so yea ok bi
-becks

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/30/2005 4:39 PM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page