Saturday, June 25, 2005

Dancing and Getting Old

I just got back from a dance recital which 4 girls from our youth group danced ballet and tap. As a quick side note, I have to say the tap was much more interesting and (as far as I could tell) the tap had a better execution.

Anyway the main thing I thought about while watching all of these girls (two guys, but they barely showed up) dance was just how good they were. Now, I have seen better in some college dances like the nutcracker suite or Riverdance. At the same time, they were really, really good. Jessica, Liz, Taylor and Tegan were excellent. I saw a few minor mistakes but really they were awesome!

During the recital I really enjoyed watching everyone. There were 3-4 year olds ding tap. It felt like looking at out daughter Rachel dancing, absolutely amazing they were even slightly coordinated. But I really watched these girls dace, keep in step and (in some cases) really enjoy themselves.

I am often called "old and wrinkly" (sometimes even by myself, but without the wrinkly part... I Photoshop that out). Today I again realized why it's actually nice to be old. I really, really appreciated what they were doing and was genuinely impressed. I can't walk in time, much less jump in the sky and land in a split. Though with the tap dancing I am all ready to get tap shoes and tap my way around everywhere in them.

I wouldn't have enjoyed this show 10 years ago. I'd have been bored out of my skull and falling asleep. Being older I've really figured out how to watch and appreciate what these people do. They've been practicing forever and they really looked great. At one point the four girls were out tapping away essentially in a country line dance format. Jessica put a hat back on each girls' head (covering their eyes in the process) and you'd never know they couldn't see.

Anyway, all I'm saying is this. Being young is amazing. Retaining so much, seeing the possibilities of the world, and, really, the flexibility you have. But being old is almost better. I get to make a difference in people's lives and have enough stories that help me really appreciate all the things other people are so gifted at. I'm not jealous (as I would have been years ago), all I am is glad and amazed with how incredible these girls did.

What I learned from today is simply (simple, heh heh) that whether your young or old you really should enjoy your body as it is. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

As a quick closing. Jessica, Liz, Taylor and Tegan... You each did an amazing job and I was really, really impressed.

Peace.

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page