Monday, March 06, 2006

Teenagers

As I’ve mentioned before, I volunteer at church as a youth minister, leading a bunch of high school students.

I have to say that there are times that I’m really glad to be around these guys and girls. Heck, I look at many of them and begin thinking that there really may be hope for us human beings.

Yesterday about 15 teenagers got together (far less than normal, but some have been sick or had other commitments) and went over to the park to cut down dead trees and drag them to the lake. We only got to spend a bit over an hour there, but everyone got into it and helped out.

The last time we went to help cleanup the park was similar. We cut down branches, pruned bushes and just had a great time together. Everyone helped out and no one stayed off to the side chatting, I even worked a bit!

We got back to church for some pizza, during which I got to talk to Bethany, who is an absolutely amazing person, for a while. At 6:30 the majority of the group blew off homework and headed off to Christine’s house for some time to just hang out together.

How kind they all were to each-other, and the fact that they were just so considerate to invite those around them struck me. These are some amazing people who care more about each-other than about the fact that they are in different social cliques.

When is the last time you broke free of your own social group and invited people who were on the fringes? When did you get together with people and just get a bit dirty helping Mother Nature in all her clean-up work?

Looking at these teenagers I know that there is hope for us after all.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page