Friday, April 08, 2005

Jamaica in the Springtime

It's finally beginning to feel like Spring! Or at least the way I like it to feel. With some day's 80 degrees, others 60's - 70's. It's great weather where you can dress comfortably and not feel like you're going to melt. I'm generally not a huge fan of the super hot, but also not of the freezing cold if I'm stuck in it. Some football games are downright miserable, feeling like my toes will fall off.

It's times like these when we leave the windows open during the night, and through the day. For me this is a good and a bad thing. I like to sleep in the cold generally. I think 70 degrees is just too warm to sleep in. But, at the same time it feels good to have the breeze come in and to hear the sounds outside.

All this boils down to my title. I spent a week in Jamaica on a mission trip. We stayed in a convent which had no windows. The evenings get cool and the days are warm, but comfortable. It's like that all year round, though not quite as muggy as Florida. So who needs windows?

Opening the windows in early spring reminds me a lot of Jamaica. The sound of cars, sirens and nature all happening at the same time. The breeze as it cools down right when the temperature begins to feel to hot. Leaving the doors open, and just walking around outside to enjoy God's greatness.

While I could never return to Jamaica for a vacation, with all the inequities to the poor, I savor the memories of the nights and the people I helped just in one week. It makes me look forward to our mission trip to Montana later this summer.

So, what memories does Spring bring to your mind? What do you absolutely love to do when the weather accommodates (maybe I'll steal some ideas and do them myself)?

Peace.

1 comment(s):

Tom, I'm a professor of college students, so I am to one degree or another a "youth minister" too (at times).

As for spring ... in Chicago our Spring has had slow feet and is only gradually inching its way into our lives, but when it gets here the grass turns green (which it is now) and the warmer winds wake up the trees and dead leaves. And it makes me think I can begin to think about golfing some.

As for Jamaica... the poverty issue strikes home. I am reminded of the great saints who gave it all up, like St. Francis or St. Benedict, and who sent up a high flag to remind us all that "things" are not necessary. What is necessary, as I detail in my Jesus Creed, is that in whatever station we find ourselves we learn to love God and to love others wherever we find ourselves. I find so often we want to make things better so we can "carry on our ministry" more effectively, when the radical call is to "minister" in the situation we are in.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/09/2005 10:41 AM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page