Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Why Church Is The Best

Lately I've been feeling kind of blah about life. Church has been good, not necessarily great but good. Work has been just ok, busy and fun, but it feels more and more like we're on a sinking ship. Rachel's amazing, but been fussy a bit lately as well. So, all in all life is good and kind of blah.

All that changed tonight. I was in a meeting at church (which was going far better than I'd expected) and got two phone calls which I couldn't answer. So, like nice people they left messages. A little while later I got an IM from some of the youth group members explaining the calls, that they were wishing me a happy anniversary (it's tomorrow, 3 years and going great).

Well, on the way home I was finally able to listen to the calls. I have to tell you, I was so happy and moved it actually brought tears to my eyes. Here's how it went (I wish I could record it), oh, and it's important to note I have the nickname of Bob for an unexplained reason with some youth group members:

Call number one at 7:44
Jessica: Hi Bob, it's Jessica. Um, I just wanted to wish you Happy Anniversary and, yeah. That's what I'm talking about tomorrow, Happy anniversary tomorrow. And, and here's Tegan.
Tegan: Hi Bob, Happy Anniversary tomorrow. Bye.
Liz: Hi Bob it's Liz, Happy Anniversary tomorrow, what they said. And that's it. Here's Bean.
Bean: Hi Bob, Bye Bob.
Liz: OK, Bye Bob, see you later.

And the second call at 7:45:
Taylor: Hi Bob, this is Taylor. And they all hung up so I gave you another message. Happy Anniversary tomorrow.
Margaret: I'm here too.
Taylor: And, and Margaret says hi. Ok, Happy Anniversary for tomorrow. Ok, bye.

I heard this, and all their excitement and everything just came through. Here's a room full of people I never would have met without church, friends who think about others' anniversaries and want to just let me know they're thinking of me and my family.

Just hearing this was amazing to me, and brightened my day and life. It's going to keep me smiling for quite a while. I mean, when's the last time 6 people all got on the phone together and called you to simply say "hi, we're all thinking of you. Congratulations for being who you are?" That doesn't even cover the friends at the meeting tonight who congratulated me and whom I just got to talk with.

Anyway, both of my tirades on fairness and entitlement have completely dropped from my mind. So, I'll have to get there some other time.

Tonight I'll simply pray you have friends who are as amazing as those I've made at church.

Peace.

2 comment(s):

Tom - that is wonderful. It's always great to have people who will call you "just because." I'm glad you have that.

Oh, and Happy Anniversary. I can't believe it has been three years! I still haven't had another wedding cake as good as yours. :)

By Blogger Cindy, at 4/20/2005 8:57 PM  

Uh-oh! Not only am I behind in my blogs, but I failed to wish you Happy 3rd Anniversary!

So--Happy Anniversary!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/24/2005 9:55 PM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page