Thursday, August 31, 2006

Owning What You Deliver

delivering a big presentLast August I came back from a mission trip realizing that the job I do isn't one where I find much satisfaction or purpose. I recognize that I need to work and I have a "good" job that many would envy. Others aren't so blessed. I've heard a lot of feedback from people that they need to figure out how to just "suck-it-up", they're unhappy in their jobs but it's the sacrifice we make for our family.

There are a couple of different factors to work discontent, but this post by Seth Godin on marketing really got me thinking about what it is we're making, what we're selling and who we're selling to.

Thank goodness I'm not selling cigarettes or something else hurtful. I'm developing and selling applications to the government to manage and solve their IT problems. Sounds glamorous, I know. Honestly it can be pretty fun and interesting at times.

Seth points out:

The same way the marketer at Marlboro needs to acknowledge that by being a good marketer, she's putting her kids through college at the same time she's killing thousands of people. It's a choice--her choice.

We're responsible for what we sell and how we sell it. We're responsible for the effects (and the side effects) of our actions.

It is our decision. Whatever the decision is, you need to own it. If you can't look that decision in the mirror, market something else.

While I don't market much of anything I do take people's money and try to give them something back that is worth that investment. I've been asking myself, am I proud to own the product I've built or the information I've given. Do I think that product and information was worth the amount of money people spent on it?

This answer is different for everyone. Erin loves what she does and I'm excited to watch her work. While she groans at doing a proposal (where we tell the government our solution and the cost, essentially marketing our product) I also know that she really enjoys it. She believes in what we offer and likes to be a part of a team of people that feel the same.

When trying to define my discontent I'm coming back to this question. Am I excited about the products we make? Do I really think they are worth the money or make a large impact on the world? I sure hope and pray that you do.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page