Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Sundays Off

I was just reading Michael's blog and loved what he had to say about taking a day off.  Up until this post I would have been upset to say that I rarely go to church when I'm on vacation.  I know, shocks of awe and horror abound.  It didn't sound like something a youth minister would do.

If you're at all involved in our church, you'll know my wife and I are there quite often.  It's a wonderful place to be and there is very little I would trade it for.  Every now and then though, it's nice to take a week off.

We both feel way too guilty to just sleep in some Sunday if we are around.  It's a bit like Jess commented; don't ever think you have an excuse to miss it, because it only gets easier to skip.  At this point I seriously doubt that would happen, but I just don't feel right being local and not going to church.  It's much easier not to miss it if it's impossible to go.

This is true for everyone, from the general congregant through the active volunteer and up to the staff.  It's hard for me to miss a Sunday partly because it means someone else has to take my place.  I don't like making someone do what I can do, feels like I'm shirking my responsibility and giving grunt work to someone.  This is definitely something I need to work though, since it clearly leads to me not allowing others to really excel.

In any case, when I do relax on some Sundays, I come back having really missed church.  I feel a bit more energized and ready for a fun Sunday.  So, when's your next church vacation?

As a side note, I'm convinced he must have just watched this video from Luke's post.  It would be great to do something like this at church, if only I had rhythm (or even style like these guys)!  Seriously though, you have to watch the video.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

1 comment(s):

Thanks for the link for the video I found. Now you got me thinking....Maybe I could do something like that for church......I'll post it if we do do anything like that!

By Blogger Unknown, at 8/31/2006 5:05 PM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page