Saturday, September 02, 2006

Sum of Our Parts Illustration

We're on the road to New Jersey for a weekend with the family of my college friend Melissa.  We stopped off for brunch.  At 11:30 I can't say it was lunch, Erin and Rachel had breakfast and I eschewed breakfast (since all breakfast is second class to lunch and dinner) food for a sandwich.

As I watched Rachel pull apart and eat some bacon a great illustration came to mind.  I'm wondering why we don't use it more in talks and conversations.

When you have bacon, it's essentially got two parts, meat and fat.  You'd never grill bacon without fat, since it would burn.  You'd also never break it apart and eat only the fat, that's just gross.  It's only by the fat and meat working together that you get a decent taste.

Selection of hot dogs with different toppings Not liking bacon I figured out an even more relevant illustration... Hot Dogs! Wikipedia has an awesome description and history of the Hot Dog. Along with these listed ingredients:

Contents can also be questionable, with cheaper types of hot dogs having been known to contain snouts, ears and blended organ meat.

Yummmm......

I don't know about you, but the last time I ate snout all alone I wasn't all that impressed.  While "blended organ meat" may sound incredibly appetizing, I wonder if it really is as tasty as the name lets on.

All those ears, snouts and organ meat together make for one delicious meal.  While I can't abide with natural casing hot dogs (those with sheep intestines holding all the meat in place, that just sounds gross), skinless is darned good.

Where does this whole thing lead?  I am so much more with other people than I can be alone.  I can get more done, think more creatively and even have more fun.

Why hasn’t anyone else thought of the hot dog illustration before?

At Denny's one family came in with a big group and decided to have some fun.  One guy convinced the waitress (in secret of course) to tell the rest of the family that they were out of eggs.  It was quite hilarious, and the waitress pulled it off so well I thought they were really out.

Had that guy with the joke came in all by himself I hardly think it would have been as funny.

What are you going to do today?  Will you be a pig snout or will you be a delicious hot dog?

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page