Sunday, May 22, 2005

Transformation

As some people know, we recently switched our phone service from Verizon (a land line) to Vonage (a company which uses the Internet for phone calls). So really, in our house almost nothing has changed except that we have more services and pay $27 a month after taxes instead of $65. So far the service has been great and except for one hiccup (had to reboot our Internet router to get the caller ID to work) everything has gone well.

I was just thinking about what is really happening here. My voice is moving from my phone to a box which transforms it into numbers (0's and 1's specifically). It is then sent over the Internet (through a bunch of other boxes) and transformed back into my voice on someone else's phone. All without any delay. Think even more, when you call Internationally you might have a slight delay, but usually it's as though you're right next to them.

Lots of transformations occur around us every day. Look at your house. Every moment a piece of coal or plutonium is transformed into bursts of energy. Then sent to your house which all your electronic things know how to use. Makes me think of Star Trek, instead of coal it's people being turned into energy. Then a little while later that energy is put back into bits of person and smushed back together. When I think about it that way, it makes me think transportation is possible, we just need to track which piece of energy will turn into which little bit of myself, and then smush it all back. I'd sign up (After a few years, I saw The Fly too)!

I could go on and on about all the things which transform from one to another. Rachel as each day goes by transforms. I transformed into a better man when I married my wife. I transform every day through my experiences.

So, here's where I'm going with this. All the stories I share are about something that's transformed me. I may not have enjoyed the stories as they happened. Heck, they may not have transformed me in a particularly good way. But each one has literally transformed some little bits of me and made me who I am today. How can I not be grateful for that?

What has transformed you and your life? Realizing each story has made you who you are today, do you see them as something good? Can you see your transformations as good events? I hope you'll remember what I try to remind myself, that God's hand is in each of my transformation events.

Peace.

1 comment(s):

Tom-
Not a transformation, but an interesting piece I heard on NPR the other day. Apparently some Vonage customers do not have access to 911 in our area due to some technical thing that you would have understood better than I. However, just wanted to give you a heads up. I figure you might want to check that out.
Miriam

By Blogger Miriam, at 5/23/2005 10:17 AM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page