Tuesday, December 27, 2005

My Twin

One of the most amazing things happened to me yesterday. It was kind of a mixed blessing, but for me, yesterday morning was one of the best late Christmas gifts I could have received.

My daughter Rachel had a great Christmas day. So great she ended up not taking a nap until 3 p.m., and that was only about an hour. Compared with going to bed at 11:30 and sleeping for 2 hours, this was downright scary. She went to bed a little early and slept wonderfully.

She made noise around 8 a.m. so I got up and picked her up from her crib. She was so cute, just holding me and looking around. We went downstairs and got some milk which helped her out a bit and we went over to the sofa so wake up a bit.

We sat for 45 minutes.

It was just like those lazy Saturday mornings I remember as a kid. Sitting in the living room and just zoning out as I watch the trees and birds outside or just take in the room. Sitting in the peaceful silence and letting the world go on by while I watch.

Rachel, at 18 months, did just the same thing. She said in my lap facing out toward the room. Her eyes moved around a little but we just zoned out together. Looking at the Christmas tree, looking at the trees outside, looking across the kitchen. Just zoning in silence together.

It was one of the best moments of my life. Even after I got up and started in the fireplace 30 minutes into it, we just sat and watched that as well. She did sip her milk after a while, but even then we just lazed around. It was one more example of something she and I shared, she can even eat through an entire pint of raspberries or blackberries in one sitting too!

Now, anyone who's a parent knows this isn't such a great sign. Rachel was pretty sick and needed a ton of sleep that day. If Erin went to her she cried. After a bit she just cried for no reason, just wanted to go outside even though it was 30 degrees out. She even took a 3 hour nap and went to bed early, really abnormal.

But yesterday morning was one I'll never forget. I saw for the first time my little girl sharing some of my own traits. I saw that little girl as a teenager, sharing the same personal times. I saw her as a woman who visits and just sits with me as we watch the world go by.

Everyone says having a baby is miraculous and changes your life. For me I felt it immediately, but it took me a few months before everything sank in. Yesterday it was concrete. I knew this little girl would grow up with some of my own traits so ingrained she does them at 18 months. What a miracle that is.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page