Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Life Changing Events

Continuing on with the questions I answered to help one of our youth's project. Here is today's question and my answer. It'd really be neat to see some of your own answers, in comments or in person, but it seems I'll just have to ask people in person.

Today's question is:
What is one of the most life changing event's you've had?
And my answer is:

Oh wow...

There are a lot.

Lets see...

One that first came to mind was being molested growing up. After it was all over and he'd been convicted I talked with some people who did make me see that Don (the man who molested me) did love me in his own way. It made me realize that we all do things because we think they are right or we love people. But that doesn't mean that what we do is right. People can be really messed up, but I still think they do things because they think it is the right thing to do.

Another one most recently would have been our mission trip to Montana. Coming back from that trip really changed my thinking about money and material things. It also kick-started my own thinking about beginning to look into the priest hood as a career and leave my current job.

That's just started, but it will be the point where my life changes long term.

I probably need to explain the molestation a little bit. Please, please don't feel bad for me. This happened years ago, ended when I finally came forward at 14. My parents, the church, the police,the DA and everyone was so caring and helpful. It was the beginning of the fall for one friendship of mine, but other than that I have learned so very much.

I've also found that people can move on past some of the hardest things which happen in their life. Having friends and family to talk to about the issue is part of that. Having almost everyone on your side, defending you also helps a lot.

There are a ton of stories and details on this one. As I've said to youth group before, what is said in youth group stays in youth group, except my life. That is an open book and can be shared with anyone. So most people that know me know about this. Those that don't I'm happy to talk about.

It was a very, very dark time in life. A hard 8 years, because of Don but also with school and things. But it's also influenced the person I am today. While I am not glad of it, and if I had it to do again I'd do it differently, God has brought some real insight into my life from it. So, for the growth I've gained I'm thankful.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page