Friday, May 12, 2006

Time Off

As I’ve mentioned earlier, work has been really, really slow. So slow in fact that one manager has sent my resume to people for FoxPro work or for a project which no one even knows what they do or what they need. While this woman is wonderful to talk to about family life and things of a personal nature, I have a hard time looking to her as a leader.

In any case, if you happen to be interested in looking at my resume and suggesting improvements, etc, please let me know. I am always excited to have people constructively criticize my things. It’s only through teams that we really get better.

So, this entire week I have taken off of work. My plan was relatively simple. Take the time off, do a few things around the house, put my resume together and get it out on Monster and really reflect on where God wants me to be.

Remember the movie Clue from 1985? It was awesome, and had three alternate endings. When you went to the theater you picked whether you wanted to see ending A, B or C. Thankfully the video (and DVD) have all endings. I always remember right before ending C they write up “But here’s what really happened”. A and B were good choices, and great intentions, but not what really came to pass. Often my life follows that same line, great intentions, not so great realities. But I have an awesome life that I would never give up, so I’m sure not complaining, just saying that I never quite live up to my intentions.

So, with my intention of focusing on a job search well in hand… Here’s what really happened.

I did errands, sprayed to kill weeds, got and spread mulch, worked on why I couldn’t burn TV shows to DVD, discussed the next sermon series and adding a service time, and updated the church Web site. Oh, I did at least get my resume up on monster.

I never did get that long walk I promised myself, nor that reflection time, and I don’t even have a written resume, though I have to hand it to Monster, they make it really easy to put up your information without needing a written resume.

This got me to realize that I really would love a job where I was the IT leader in a church (or technology pastor as National Community Church calls it). I spent a lot of the week preparing a talk for Wednesday night (which apparently I did well on, which makes me so glad) and updating our church Web site to support RSS feeds and sermon e-vites (both are pretty cool).

It ended up being a really productive week with church things, and you really do have to check out the RSS feeds and Web e-vites (once the e-vite sermon series text gets finalized by Rob.

So check out the updated St. Matthew’s site. It’s not very different, but those little orange syndication squares are the RSS feeds. So you can subscribe to our Newsletter, Sermons and Rob Recommends.

I really do love some of this work though, being able to make a difference in something that will really be used by someone and hopefully deepen their faith. Now, just pray for me that I’ll have some time next week to really begin reflecting.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

1 comment(s):

Hey Tom-

Glad you got some things done this week. I am stoked to be able to get RSS feeds for the newsletter and Rob Recommends. The links on your site are all taking me to the newsletter.

Also, now we need a way to opt out of the paper printed newsletter to help save the church time, money, printing and postage. Heh, I guess the work never ends. Eh?

By Blogger Miriam, at 5/13/2006 8:03 AM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page