Friday, June 02, 2006

Seussical

Our church has been interviewing different people for a full time youth minister position (if you happen to know of anyone, please I’d love to meet them). Right now Steve is visiting us and asked me an interesting question last night, “What do the teens do with their free time outside of school?” We asked a bunch of the teens and had answers ranging from swimming to dance to playing video games to mountain biking. The reality is that they have so many activities outside of school that I am constantly competing to get them to show up to youth activities.

If he were to ask me that question right now, I would have a much better answer. Outside of school each and every one of these teens are doing amazing things with their lives.

I just got home from seeing Seussical at Potomac Falls High School. I am constantly amazed at how talented people are.

Two of the teens I knew we re in the play. Stephen had a supporting role as the Grinch and one of three monkeys (quite appropriate if you know Stephen ). Briana (I found out when I recognized her) is in the dance chorus. While she didn’t sing very much, she was an incredible dancer (something I learned about her just two weeks earlier). This was easily the best play I’ve seen teenagers put on in the past few years.

Over the past 4 years I have gotten to see three middle school plays (with anywhere from 30 – 60 kids) and two high school plays. They were all great in one way or another. I liked the middle school plays mainly because I knew at least 5 to 10 teens that were in it. But the high school plays just knock your socks off.

While almost everyone had a great voice, The Cat in the Hat (Tali), Jojo (Paige) and Gertrude (Lara) were just incredible. I actually got goose bumps listening to Jojo and Horton sing “Alone in the Universe”. All around it was a great play.

Every one of us has some amazing gifts. I just love getting the chance to watch them exercise those gifts for the world. So, the next time someone asks me what my youth group does outside of school, the answer is easy.

They are making a difference in our world. They’re making us laugh, making us cry, and making us have hope for the future.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page