Friday, November 17, 2006

The Importance of Foreign Language

Foreign Language SignIt has taken me 31 years to finally understand why learning a foreign language in school is important.  Yes, my 10 years of Spanish should have made it so I can talk intelligently to my Spanish speaking neighbors, but unfortunately, that's not the case.  Today Erin showed me the true importance of learning a language.

She has been looking for help using Crystal Reports as it integrates with Microsoft Visual Studio.  Every time she would go to the help it would have an error that the page was not found. 

What's her solution (something I would never have thought of)?  Try the French version which she learned in school.  Sure enough, it worked (thankfully the code snippets are in English)!

The next time someone asks me why the heck they need to take Spanish/French/German/Japanese/Russian etc. I now have an answer.  Study that language long and hard, you never know when the help you need is only available in your second language.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page