Sunday, October 22, 2006

Battlestar Galactica

BattlestarI've just gotten through the 3rd episode of Battlestar Galactica Season 3.  When the new Battlestar began I watched, but it was just so different from the original I wasn't sure I'd click with it.  It just seems that for some reason Sci-Fi has a whole lot of dark stuff, and this was no different.  On top of that a female Starbuck was just weird.

Over time I've figured out that I am really connecting with the characters.  I really care about them and their plight.  This season really made this click in my mind, as I watched a really, really moving interpretation of the Holocaust. 

I spent almost 6 hours in the Holocaust Museum in DC, and it really got me to think hard about what happened.  That coupled with a History Channel documentary I saw a few years ago and an exhibit at American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore has made it stick in my mind.  I can't look at snow quite the same way again.

Somehow all of that information moved me intellectually but I could never connect or completely understand what individuals went through.  No two hour movie or factual documentary really got me to care deep down about the individuals and what it meant for the family.

Battlestar has made that connection.

Seeing the individuals that I've followed for three years go through the atrocities people have suffered has really got me thinking about what's happened in our past, what's happened in Rwanda, and what will happen to individuals under the oppressive rule of an extreme leader.

Say what you will about TV or even Science Fiction.  It's those books and shows that have given me a connection with an individual deeper than a movie or short book ever can.  I love having my heart changed.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page