Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Megaphoning

The last day of our Mississippi trip we had to do one of the hardest things ever. Say goodbye to the friends I'd made.

That last day Dave, Amber, Missy and Abby were all saying that continuing to work on Saturday would be really boring since our group wasn't going to be with them to make it fun.

What's interesting about that was that I’d thought it was them making things fun and keeping it interesting. At most I may have just taken their craziness and funness (is that even a word) and made it louder. Whenever someone said something funny I was thrilled to pass on what they said. Whenever someone did something great (lifting tons of heavy boards, releasing a roof from a tree, or carrying off whole sections of a roof-top), I loved just shouting out how great that person was.

Things would be different after our group left, but those remaining behind are still the same people. They still have the same thoughts, the same personalities and the same attitude toward the work they are doing.

So, what was my individual contribution? I know I did something to make a difference (just as each of them made a huge difference for me), but what was it? Looking at my life I really think that I'm a big megaphone. I love to share the triumphs of others. I also like to let people know that I’ve seen the good work they are doing, so that they know they are recognized.

I’ve found that in this work people want to be recognized for their good works. Even the shy ones who try to stay out of the limelight still love to know that what they did made a difference to someone. That they aren’t completely alone in their work, but that someone else is watching and sharing with them.

God is great at that. He’s always there supporting us and cheering us on. One of the ways God does that is through each of us. When another person comes up to me and says, “I am going to miss you so much; it’s just not going to be the same.” Or as Amber said last night “You have got to come up here and visit. Life is so different without you around.” Seriously, that got me really emotional (maybe I’m too much of a girl). Or when someone said they wanted to write a school paper on me. Me? How crazy is that? I was moved almost to tears.

The only thing I can think is that it’s all about amplifying the good things you see around you. It’s about being a big megaphone.

I kept thinking about this on the drive home. I wasn’t the one that made our work group on the Mississippi trip fun or successful. I didn’t even make a huge dent in the work that was done. The people who made that group so memorable were those around me. The individuals who took the same amount of pride in moving entire walls as they did in moving single boards. Those who sifted through dirt on the ground to find anything memorable and those who worked together to flip and move an upturned shed. The team which worked together to pull down some tree limbs before the wind did real damage.

So, to add yet another word to the English language (remember funness earlier? I know it was forever ago), I was megaphoning. I just took whatever I saw and let everyone know how great the people around me are. How every board we moved and wall we tore down made a difference in someone’s life. It was even better when I saw other people talking each-other up (er, wait, I mean megaphoning). Talking to each-other about the great things they saw and did that day.

So, I guess I’m just wondering. When’s the last time you saw someone do great work and just that with others around you (even strangers)? Being good and modest people we don’t generally talk up our work and strengths. So, when’s the last time you talked up someone for them? When were you a megaphone for someone else’s deeds?

With Christmas coming one of the greatest gifts I think I can give is to megaphone for those around me. Let the world know what gifted and amazing people it has living on it. To tell God that we truly are thankful for these people he has placed in our lives.

Peace,
+Tom

1 comment(s):

Megaphoning, huh?

Hmmm... I like it!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2005 9:14 PM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page