Sunday, November 27, 2005

How quickly we become friends

Right now twelve adults and nine youth from our church (myself included) are currently on our way home from Mississippi. We all spent our Thanksgiving going down to help out with the relief effort. What we saw down there is a story (and maybe some pictures) for another time. Actually, there are so many stories going on in my mind I may have quite a few posts coming up in the next few days and weeks. What’s on my mind now are the incredible friendships I made in such a short time.

We drove down Tuesday and went out to our first work site Wednesday morning. We spent the day sifting through a home and retrieving any items of importance which we could find. What was nice for me was that I went out with a couple adults and a group of college students.

I could just relax and really dive into the effort without having to be responsible for anything besides myself. It really felt great. I was able to relate to everyone as equals and it felt great.

You might be surprised to hear this, but while we were working I got into the habit of talking with the people I was working with. We had about 20 people at our work site all grouped by different tasks. So as I walked back and forth with bit pieces of wood I began talking to a couple of the college students from Lockhaven University in Pennsylvania. The two I connected with the best that morning was Dave and Amber. I had some great conversations with others at the site but Amber, Dave and I just had the best chemistry. All working pretty hard, relaxing together, splitting off and talking to others and coming back together whenever the tides brought us.

It began innocently enough, a quick offer of help with the obvious response, “What, you think I’m weak or something because I’m so old and fat?” This continued into more and more jibes as well as supportive words as we worked together to loosen and move bigger and heavier objects. Soon it became well known that Amber and Dave could lift pretty much anything (though I never did see Amber lift the tree limb out of the ground). We’d carry big pieces of roofing, kid each-other about letters of the alphabet certain boards spelled and just chat while moving personal belongings back and forth.

As the day went on I got to know more and more people within the group. I had some great times with Abby, Missy/Amanda, Galina and Malik. Over the week I met even more people and most seemed to feel free to pick on me. It was great! I’ve made at least a few friendships which I hope will continue on for quite some time.

That night I’d share my time between people at St. Matthew’s, Dave and Amber. It was just great to let the conversations and friendships flow around. Everything just felt natural.

Wednesday night Rob and I were walking around the building talking about the community at the work camp. I’d smiled and returned a greeting from a stranger as we walked outside the building. Rob remarked that this was how the World should be. People showing and returning kindness to one another. Feeling safe enough to leave your laptop on a cot for hours on end and know it will not disappear. I couldn’t help but agree. Just walking around made me feel so upbeat and happy, but I couldn’t explain it.

The explanation is this. When people gather together to put God’s work first he brings rewards to those receiving help as well as those lending that helping hand. I was gifted with lots of new friendships through my work this week.

I was reminded about what friendship can be. Not a relationship between two people where one focuses of caring for the other. Not one where you cling to that friendship so closely that no one is allowed in. It’s a relationship where people may kid with you, but spend most of their time building you up. People who encourage you to be more than you are right now. People who make you see the world differently. People who let you be your normal self while also letting you show off every now and then.

In short friendship is God’s love and his grace to bring friends into our lives who we can bond with instantly. Friendship is obvious when you simply look at Amber and Dave.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

1 comment(s):

Nice to see you posting again. And what a great post to get back in the swing of things with!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/28/2005 5:24 PM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page