Monday, March 20, 2006

Marcus Gopal

Today Erin and I learned that one of Rachel’s classmates, Marcus Gopal, passed away last Friday. He had Leukemia which they discovered a few weeks ago. We hadn’t learned about it until today, and it’s really hit me hard.

Putting Rachel to bed we always say prayers and bless people around us. So tonight we did Marcus, which Rachel hung on to and continued saying God Bless Marcus, or baby Marcus. It’s enough to make me cry. Sometimes this world is so hard on us all we can do is move on and be with God. But I sure don’t understand it all the time.

All I could think about is what the family is going through, and what would happen if it were Rachel. All I wanted to do was hold her in the rocking chair and stare at her face. Right now I miss Rachel and she’s only a few hundred feet away. To never tough her face, hear her voice or watch her grow would devastate me. I don’t even know how I would go on.

So, it’s been a hard day for me, and a much harder day for Marcus’ family. I can only cling to my own blessings that Rachel is still here and that Marcus has moved on to an eternity of happiness, waiting to be joined by his parents. Though I sure wouldn’t see it that way if the roles were reversed.

What can I ever do with my life that will be more important than helping Rachel grow into what god wants her to be? I can’t think of anything.

For all of us, especially the Gopel’s, I pray for peace,

+Tom

2 comment(s):

Tom,

Today was the first time I did a search on google for my son's name. Needless to say I was quite surprised and touched by your comments. Today, June 23, is Marcus's birthday. Linda and I are doing ok. Our second child is due August 18th. We're very excited.

Thanks,
Gautam

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/23/2006 11:16 AM  

Tom,

Today was the first time I did a search on google for my son's name. Needless to say I was quite surprised to find your blog and touched by your comments. Today, June 23, is Marcus's birthday. Linda and I are doing ok. Our second child is due August 18th. We're very excited.

Thanks,
Gautam

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/23/2006 11:17 AM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page