Monday, April 17, 2006

Consumers and Producers

When I was on the vestry (board of directors) for church last year a term came up when referring to parishioners (regulars and visitors who join us) in the church. As a forewarning, I really hope not to offend anyone, but if you read my last entry you’ll remember that a little offense is something we can work through together.

Anyway, we looked at the people who came to church and made two general categories for individuals. People were either consumers or producers. The consumers were people who came to Sunday morning services, and maybe some other activities. These people consumed what we had to offer, but had not made the life decision to give back to the world (and regardless of your opinion, Christ does want us to be giving back). Those people, who made a life commitment to Christ, volunteered their own time and actively worked to bring others to Christ we called “producers”.

If you’re really going to get politically correct, we should probably call them “potential volunteers” vs. “actual volunteers” (though that doesn’t accurately reflect these people). Consumers and producers just make more sense in our day and age (and rolls off the tongue).

The reason for this grouping was that we were constantly asking ourselves, “How can we change people from consumers into producers”? How can we bring people from the pews into a lifelong commitment to Jesus and all of the potential He wants our lives to be?

I say all that to recognize that lately I’ve been much more of a consumer than a producer. In the blog world I’m reading 53 blogs every time they are updated (some once a week or less, others multiple times a day), not including the Mosaic podcast each week and any regular e-mail newsletters I receive (though all except the New York Times newsletters I get as RSS and ignore others). At the same time I’ve posted a whole 0 times in the past two weeks. Yesterday was the first time in what feels like forever.

This actually helped me recognize some of the ways I have been slipping in my own life.

Since last August I’ve made some changes to how I’m living, including how I eat. That has somehow translated to me losing about 22 pounds since August (a benefit I hadn’t expected). Over the past month my weight leveled off and actually went up by a tiny bit. I’ve found this to be a great barometer to see how I’m living.

If my weight is going up, it means I’m eating more than I need to. It means I’m consuming more than I’m producing. Looking at my blog posting habits was another example. I’ve tried journaling but just don’t make the time for it. Blogging has been easier for me, and I do make time for it. When I stop blogging it means I’ve also stopped making the time to journal, never a good thing.

This got me to recognize that I’m also consuming more in other ways. I’ve been buying more DVD’s (two or three in the past 2 months, not terrible, but I’ve seriously considered buying some that I don’t care about).

I’ve also been taking more from church than I’ve been giving back. Letting other people do all the work while I sit back and watch. I’ve also begun being sarcastic and teasing with people instead of making jokes which build people up.

Even with family I’ve been consuming. During our weekly get-togethers I’ve been a bit more reserved, and feeling very disconnected from the conversation. Simply wanting to be alone.

St. Matthew’s had a prayer vigil last Thursday and Friday and I took part from 12:50 – 1:30 a.m. That really helped me to recognize what’s been going on, and that it’s time for me to get back on track. So far even recognizing this has helped and I’m doing a bit better.

So, are you consuming more than you’re producing? Sometimes we do just need a break from life for a while to recognize how much we gain from helping others. I do have to say that it’s beginning to feel good getting back into the swing of teaching and volunteering again.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

1 comment(s):

I think you've needed a break, so I've been glad to see you sit back and do a little consuming for a while.

But I'll also be glad to have you a little more involved again. You've got a lot to offer.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/17/2006 4:46 PM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page