Sunday, April 16, 2006

Good and Bad about Being Episcopalian

One of the great things about being an Episcopalian is also one of the things which make it hard for us to really grow.

Being Episcopalian means that my focus on this world is centered on community. It is through a strong community that people really do see God working in this world. It’s through community that I become more than I can ever be by myself.

It’s also through community that I get to see what forgiveness is all about. I’ve taken on more than I can really handle lately. I’ve also put some things that aren’t all that important ahead of others. I have definitely let some of those people in the community around me down. That’s probably most especially true with the youth, and it hurts.

That same community which I’ve hurt has always been there supporting me, and forgiving me the times when I’ve failed them. In some cases they haven’t even mentioned some of the times I’ve messed up.

Thursday night I was at church and had the chance to simply kneel and pray from 12:50 – 1:30 a.m. Initially I thought it would just drone on and on, and I’d keep looking at the clock. It kind of hit me how little I have been spending alone with God. Those 40 minutes flew by before I’d even realize they were over.

During my simple time of reflection and talking with God I was told pretty clearly that I’m actually doing pretty well in life. I am very often my own worst critic, and it holds me back more than I realize. It’s time for me to begin forgiving myself, and recognizing that this community I am in forgives me as well.

So, what’s the bad side about all of this? Well, we are a community centered on the belief (not all Episcopalians, but most of the one’s I’ve met believe this) that we will all find god in our own way and in our own time. We’re a group that will welcome you even if we don’t necessarily agree with you. We’ll support you even when you’ve made some mistakes, both big and small. We will accept you even if you haven’t accepted us or Jesus.

Can you see the problem? This mentality is awesome, and why I love the church. It’s also why we tend not to talk about our faith very much. We prefer to live a Christian life and hope someone will recognize that God must exist and that you can live a fun and rewarding life through Him.

We just don’t want to tell people that they are wrong. If you believe God doesn’t exist, we don’t want to tell you that you are mistaken.

Many people won’t even say aloud the changes God has made in our lives. Some won’t even say it within the church. We just don’t want to offend someone.

Well, change never happened without causing some offense. I’ve been married to Erin for 4 years (this Thursday) and I know I’ll offend some people when I talk about it. I’ll say it’s been 4 whole years, and offend those people who have been married for 30 and thing 4 years is a joke. I’ll offend those people who are desperately looking for a mate and only feel more alone when they hear how great marriage and parenthood is.

I’m not great at talking about my faith publicly. I am too worried about what people may think. But right now I’m in a bit of a lull in my career, with little interest of “getting ahead” any farther. I think it’s time to stop taking stock in the opinions of my co-workers, many of whose live lives I would never want, and who just seem so lost I can’t agree when they get excited about new purchases or golf scores.

It’s time to start focusing on what’s really important. Time to start building a community that feels free to offend one-another. A community that knows that even when we disagree we’re together for the long haul. How will you start changing your communities?

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

1 comment(s):

Good to see you posting again.

And good content. I like what you have to say--and will be interested to see how it plays out in your--and our communities--life.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/17/2006 4:43 PM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page