Monday, March 27, 2006

Hands

Yesterday my 20 month-old daughter Rachel and I went to the playground together. For some reason we got to grandma’s house and all she could say was “slide”, so we knew it was time to get out and walk on over to play on the slides. Oddly we didn’t spend a whole lot of time actually on the slides.

Initially she’d be tentative, asking for my hand to climb up the steps and look around to make sure I was near while she walked along the bouncy bridge. I even coaxed her into jumping a little to feel the bridge bounce, but she kept close to me.

When she got to a big step down she’d just call out “hand” and reach out so that I could hold her hand and steady her. Then she’d start climbing up the bars and need me to hold her hands as she negotiated balancing her feet on each rung. Of course, once she got to the top she was just fine running around on her own.

There was also a twisting slide which she was tentative about initially, so we slid down together. After the second time she was just fine going on her own and didn’t even want me to hold her as she went down. Then there was a smaller slide she decided to just get on her belly and slide down that way.

I really started thinking that this hand-holding is very similar to my relationship with God. When I’m starting something new I just rely on Him so much. I keep thinking to myself that if God weren’t helping make it happen I’d be a complete mess. Then as I do it more and more I tend to let go of the hand and really try to make him proud with my works.

After I’ve gotten somewhat good at something I still have a lot of times where I realize I just know nothing about the topic. I realize God is still right there beside me, watching and ready to catch me when I fall. He’s all set to pick me back up and make me smile about my hurts and failures. He knows that I’ll never be perfect at anything, and that hand is always outstretched and waiting for when I need it.

What better gift can I give Rachel than that outstretched arm? Even when she’s climbing the jungle gym without help, I can still help her do headstands (something she’s taken to doing lately). Once she’s off in the car on her own I can still help her feel better about the accident she’ll get or hold her hand through fighting a ticket. Once she’s off with her boyfriend, I can pray for her happiness, but I can also wrap her in two arms when it ends sadly.

I am just so glad that I can give my hand to Rachel any time she needs it. When she’s not holding on I’ll be honored to offer it to anyone else in need.

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

0 comment(s):

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page