Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What Do You Remember About Me?

I was at Starbucks a few weeks ago talking to two of the youth from youth group. We were talking about the seniors who are going off to college, and what we would remember most about each of them. This led to a discussion focused on ourselves. We asked each-other:
”What will you remember about me?”
A whole lot of different things came up as answers. It’s hard to be right on the spot and give an honest answer to someone about what will stick in your mind when you think of them. I mean, do you really say “you’re breath” if they have bad breath (thankfully none of our teens do, that I know of)?

About two weeks after this discussion Maddie, one of the teens, finally came up with something she would remember about me. I think it was something about eating a lot of popcorn at movie night.

Truthfully though, what are you remembered for? What the heck am I remembered for?

What have I really done that has impacted someone’s life so much that they will remember it forever? Was it a good impact that I made?

I know that I have made an impact in the lives of those around me. If I ever doubted it, a recent report by The Riddle Group who came to evaluate our youth ministry (plus the amazing volunteers and parents in our church) made pretty clear what I could do well… and what I didn’t.

Apparently, and I was as shocked to learn this as anyone I’m sure, I am not all things to all people. Go figure.

Anyway, even knowing that I’ve made a difference in some peoples’ lives doesn’t seem to be enough for me. I’m learning more and more that I’m here to help people outside the church, we all are.

So, what are you remembered for? What stands out in your memory of me? What will the stranger on the street remember us for?

Peace,
+Tom/Bob

1 comment(s):

i'll remember your laugh and how helpful and understanding you are!!

<3 bean

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/06/2006 9:39 PM  

> Post a comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page